Pages

Translate

What do you seek?

Monday, December 6, 2010

Bread pudding and the dilemma...

Last Saturday, I was buying the groceries for the week and the ingredients needed for lunch on Sunday. I wanted to make eggplant lasagna and bread pudding with ice cream, for dessert. Already had taken everything that was on my list (who knows me well, knows I do lists for everything!) and the cart was already giving me signs that it would be painful to carry the bag to the bus stop!, except the bread for the bread pudding! I went to the bakery, and to my surprise, I bought no bread and in a blink of an eye I changed my mind and decided to make a completely different dessert! On the way to the cashier, I was thinking about some habits that I have, related to food ...
... take a seat, here comes the story ...
You know those things that we learn from very young age and that, like a curse ... hmmm ... let's say tradition stays rooted in our brain, in our blood, in our DNA? Things like not to point a star because you will grow a wart - which is only superstition, but I challenge anyone not to think about it the next time that, for some reason, point The Three Marys or the Southern Cross - or to use Minancora cream to heal pimples even though today, there are hundreds of modern products with vitamins and moisturizer for that purpose!
Well, one of these "foibles" is to never throw food away. My mother always did everything to avoid wastage, at the kitchen. And because of this policy, there were some delicacies that we could only appreciate when there were leftovers or something about to spoil. The example here is the bread pudding, one of my favorite desserts. My mother use to make bread pudding only when we had some hard loaves, aged, from a few days ago. And so that's why I grew up with the idea that bread pudding MUST only be done with old bread. So, how to buy fresh bread just to make the pudding? "Oh, that'd be a waste!". So I left the supermarket without buying bread and decided to make rocky road (that's another story...) instead. If there is leftover bread next week, I'll make it! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts